Imagine a gem that captures the mesmerizing blue hues of a clear sky in September. That's the sapphire – a beloved birthstone for those lucky enough to call this month their own. Like a piece of the sky you can hold, sapphires have enchanted hearts for centuries with their stunning deep blue shades.
In the world of birthstones, sapphires stand out as the September gem, representing more than just a dazzling piece of jewelry. They're like little talismans of wisdom and serenity, embodying the very essence of this late summer month.
So, if you're a September baby, think of sapphires as your personal piece of the sky, a timeless treasure that mirrors your clarity of thought and the tranquil vibes of the changing season. Whether set in a ring, necklace, or any cherished accessory, sapphires are more than just stones – they're a piece of your story, sparkling with the magic of your birth month.
History of Sapphires:
- Sapphires have been cherished as precious gemstones for thousands of years. The name "sapphire" is derived from the Latin word "sapphirus" and the Greek word "sappheiros," both meaning "blue stone."
- Ancient civilizations, including the Greeks and Romans, believed that sapphires held special powers and protective qualities. They associated sapphires with wisdom, loyalty, and nobility.
- In many cultures, sapphires were thought to bring spiritual insight and tranquility. They were often used as talismans to ward off negative energies and promote mental clarity.
Sapphire as September Birthstone:
- The tradition of assigning gemstones to specific months, known as birthstones, has ancient origins and varies across cultures. The modern list of birthstones was standardized in 1912 by the American National Retail Jewelers Association (now Jewelers of America).
- Sapphires are the birthstone for September. The choice of sapphire for this month might be due to its deep blue color, which resembles the clear blue skies of September. This association with the sky's color could symbolize serenity and a clear mind.
- The blue sapphire's link to wisdom, truth, and spiritual insight also aligns with the qualities attributed to people born in September.
- The British Crown Jewels house some of the world's most famous sapphires. The St. Edward's Sapphire, a cabochon-cut sapphire of exceptional size and quality, is set in the Imperial State Crown.
- The Star of India, one of the largest sapphires in the world, is part of the American Museum of Natural History's collection. It is notable for its size and star-like phenomenon.
- The Logan Sapphire, a flawless blue sapphire, is another renowned gem. It was donated to the Smithsonian Institution and is one of the largest faceted sapphires in the world.
In conclusion, sapphires have a long and illustrious history as cherished gemstones with cultural and symbolic significance. Their deep blue color and qualities of wisdom and tranquility have made them a fitting birthstone for people born in the month of September.
I hope you learned something interesting in this blog and if your birthday is in September, I'd like to send you a "Ring Sizer Kit" to your mail free of charge. You can reach me thru the chat button on the bottom right of your screen or you can send me a message on instagram: https://instagram.com/shielamaydelacru.z?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
Mad love to all the September babies!